Monday, January 16, 2012

The Frasers and the Blueberry Oat Cookies


***Due to internet issues, here is last week's blog... there will be another blog later this week as well***

Let me start off by saying that I never would have gotten to where I am today if it had not been for Jim and Donna Fraser. No seriously, I really wouldn’t be here….. they are my maternal grandparents and without them, well there wouldn’t be any me hahaha!!!All joking aside they really have helped to make me the person I am today. I have definitely gotten some of my best (and maybe a couple of my worst- just kidding) traits from them. Grandpa Jim: gave me his curly hair, showed me the importance of hard work, made up a “lovely” song about me when I was a kid, and taught me some very important “facts” (bread crust makes you hair curly and alcohol puts hair on your chest). Grandma Donna: gave me her height (or lack thereof), showed me that almost anything can be cooked in the microwave, made up some imaginary friends for my sister and I to play with (I miss Mr. & Mrs. Smith), and taught me hands-down some of the funniest sayings you will ever hear (schlackdahogendo and rrrrroooooollllllllllllll it). I love my grandma and grandpa very very very much!!! I hope they take these cookies as just a small small token of my gratitude.

Blueberry Oat Cookies
By: Elaine Gelina
"It's fun to make these cookies at the height of blueberry season when folks are looking for tasty ways to serve that juicy fruit. A hint of cinnamon adds a special touch."
Original Recipe Yield 18 servings

Ingredients
• 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
• 1 cup packed brown sugar
• 1 egg
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
• 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries

Directions
1. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine oats, flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and baking powder; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Stir in the blueberries.
2. Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees F for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.

Suggestions
- Use smaller blueberries so that they cook a little more thoroughly
- Stir in the blueberries with a wooden spoon so as to not make the blueberries bleed too much into the dough (although I kinda think blue cookies would be fun).
- Most importantly, DO NOT put the entire egg (shell and all) in the batter or you will have to start over!!!!

No comments: