Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Amy and the Armenian Honey Cake Cookies


This week the cookies are going to the “Armenian Princess” so of course I had to make her some Armenian cookies. I actually found this recipe a few weeks ago for the Armenian Christmas, celebrated on January 6th, which up until a few months ago I had no idea even existed. I have to admit I am feeling a little cheated out of 29 years of presents!!! Anyway, back to Amy the center of attention (for this blog at least haha). Amy truly is a wonderful sister and one of my best friends. Can she be a bitch? Yes. Is she ever on time? No. But would she give you the shirt off her back if you needed it? Absolutely… well as long as it wasn’t from Calvin Klein. All joking aside Amy is an extremely thoughtful and caring and smart and funny and nurturing and beautiful woman (man would I kill for someone to think we were twins now). Although I may not have always acted like it (especially in middle/high school) Amy means the world to me and I cherish every one of our memories together. I am thankful every day that she is my sister. Love you Aim-Scaim!!!!


Armenian Honey Cookies ( http://www.thearmeniankitchen.com/2010/09/armenian-honey-cakes.html )

3/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup honey

1/4 tsp ground cardamom  (PS- This spice is EXPENSIVE!!! Of course Amy’s recipe would call for such an expensive ingredient)

½ tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp salt
1 egg
2 tsp baking powder
2 cups flour
Additional sugar for rolling


1. Melt butter in a saucepan or microwave oven.
2. Place melted butter in a mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients (except additional sugar), and mix until well blended.
3. Chill for about 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
4. Shape dough into balls about the size of a walnut.
5. Place additional sugar in a bowl. Coat each ball in sugar.
6. Place balls on a lightly greased sheet. With your fingers, gently press each cookie to slightly flatten.
7. Bake in a preheated 375ºF oven for 8 to 10 minutes.
8. Cool on wire rack. When completely cooled, store in an airtight container.

 
*** The only modifications I made to this recipe were that I used a cookie scoop instead of rolling into balls and I DID NOT press down the cookies. This made for softer and thicker cookies***

No comments: